Summer Seminar :: Faculty Bios

Faculty for the Seminar

T. Mills Kelly is the Associate Director of the Center for History and New Media and an Associate Professor in the Department of History and Art History at George Mason University. Along with Matthew Romaniello, he is a Co-Director of the Seminar. By training he is a historian of Czech, Slovak, and Austrian history and is the author of Without Remorse: Czech Radical Nationalism in Late-Habsburg Austria, as well as several articles on East European history and on teaching history with digital media. In 2005, he received the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Outstanding Faculty Award, the highest honor the state bestows for faculty excellence. He was the first recipient in the category “Teaching With Technology.” In 1999-2000, Kelly was a Pew National Fellow with the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and is an active figure in the scholarship of teaching and a member of the founding committee of the International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. He conducts professional development workshops for teachers at all levels around the country, as well as internationally, each year.

Matthew Romaniello is an Assistant Professor of History at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and the Co-Director of the Seminar. An experienced history teacher who has taught the Western Civilization survey for more than ten years at the college level, he also has contributed lesson plans for the College Board’s AP European History curriculum. He spent three years as the Book Review Editor for The Russian Review, one of the leading scholarly journals for Slavic studies, covering current research in history, literature, and political science. He received his Ph.D. from Ohio State University, and has published several articles on Russian and East European history in such journals as Nationalities Papers, Church History, The Journal of European Economic History, and Comparative Studies in Society and History.

Eleanor Greene is a master teacher with more than 22 years in the social studies classroom at the middle and high school level in Washington, D.C., Virginia, and Massachusetts. For the past several years she was a the Project Director of a Teaching American History grant that brought together seven Virginia school districts and George Mason University, helping teachers improve their content mastery and develop more effective teaching strategies. She earned her M.A. in Teaching History from Yale University (1969) and an M.S. in Conflict Analysis and Resolution from George Mason University (1995). She has collaboratively designed curricula in law related education, conflict management education and, most recently with historians and elementary teachers to create a pilot curriculum for Virginia history based on the Laurel Grove School, a one-room school supported by its African American community during the Jim Crow era. Before her current work with the TAH project, Ms. Greene was project director for a two-year $300,000 federal School Action Grant that included intensive teacher training and on-site staff development. She also initiated and co-facilitated a Mentor Teacher Program for seven Washington, D.C. public charter schools. Earlier she supervised student teachers from both the University of Maryland and George Washington University.

Carma Hinton is Clarence J. Robinson Professor in the College of Visual and Performing Arts at Mason. Born in Beijing where she lived until she was 21, Hinton has directed more than thirteen documentary films about China, including the award-winning film The Gate of Heavenly Peace and Morning Sun. Her films have received awards such as the George Foster Peabody Award, the American Historical Association’s John E. O’Connor Film Award. A scholar as well as a filmmaker, she has a PhD in art history from Harvard University and has held teaching positions at Swarthmore College, Wellesley College, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In addition, she has lectured widely on Chinese culture, history and film at educational institutions in the United States and around the world.

Kelly Schrum is Director of Educational Projects at the Center for History and New Media and Associate Research Professor of History at George Mason. She has worked extensively in the areas of new media, history content development, and teacher training and was Co-Director of World History Matters, which won the American Historical Association's James Harvey Robinson prize in 2007 for the best teaching resource of the past two years. She is also the Academic Program Director on five Teaching American History Grants from the Department of Education She received her Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University and is the author of Some Wore Bobby Sox: The Emergence of Teenage Girls’ Culture, 1920-1950 and co-author of History Matters: A Student Guide to U.S. History Online.

Peter Stearns is provost at George Mason University, bringing to that position nearly forty years of professional experience in higher education, both as a teacher and an administrator. He is the Editor of The Journal of Social History, and is the author of 100 books including Gender in World History, World History in Brief: Patterns of Change and Continuity, Fat History: Bodies and Beauty in Western Society, and The Battleground of Desire: The Struggle for Self-Control in Modern America. Stearns also is editor of the recently published 6-volume Encyclopedia of European Social History from 1350 to 2000.

Gale Stokes is the Mary Gibbs Jones Professor of History, Emeritus, at Rice University and a well-known scholar of East European and Russian history. His recent publications include Three Eras of Political Change in Eastern Europe, The Walls Came Tumbling Down: The Collapse of Communism in Eastern Europe, and From Stalinism to Pluralism: A Documentary History of Eastern Europe, 1945-1990. He received his PhD and in History from Indiana University in 1970.