join our link campaign by grabbing a button like this one and linking to http://eldred.cc/
This site collects material related to the constitutional challenge of the
Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act, which extended by 20 years both
existing copyrights and future copyrights.
Eric Eldred is the lead plaintiff on the case (
- June 03, 2003 - The decision in Eldred v. Ashcroft can be found in pdf form here.
- January 15, 2003 - We have failed in our effort to get the
Sonny Bono Act declared unconstitutional. Press calls should be
directed to Jonathan Zittrain, at 617-571-1846.
- January 03, 2003 - We filed our complaint in this case on
January 11, 1999. The Court won't rule on our case before January 11,
2003, but if the Supreme Court strikes down the Sonny Bono Act, then
next year we will be allowed to sing Happy Birthday To You! in public without paying royalty fees!
- December 20, 2002 - More support for the public domain: Check out Jason Schultz's final report about the effect of invalidating the 1976 Copyright Act's extension of copyrights.
- December 18, 2002 - Top question we get: "When will the
court decide the case?" It is impossible to know. But we do know this:
No decisions are scheduled to be released till the middle of January.
'Tis the season to wait, or give some creative work away under a CC license.
- December 18, 2002 - The amazing Lisa Rein has posted her movies from the night they spent waiting to get seats at the argument in Eldred.
- November 29, 2002 - Martin Goodman in Animation World magazine looks at how our case affects toondom.
- November 28, 2002 - Here is the full Posner speech, in PDF.
- November 26, 2002 - A Right trifecta: A sane and sensible National Review on the Sonny Bono Act. Thinking souls on the Right everywhere!
- November 24, 2002 - A plea for Calling off the copyright war by Jonathan Zittrain in The Boston Globe.