Checkered Game of Life
Paula Petrik, Professor of History and Art History, George Mason University
Using the picture on the right, answer the following questions:
- What are the principle features of the game board?
- What values does the game teach?
- Describe your experience playing the game. How long, for example, did it take you to reach “Happy Old Age?” Did the game have good “play value?”
- Do you think that the game would appeal more to boys or to girls? What is the evidence for your conclusion?
- If you were to design a similar game for the twentieth century, what would your game look like and what would it teach? Explain the reasons for your design.
Updated | April 2004