Essays
Essays
Images
Images
Discussion
Discussion
About
About

5. How would our analyses change if we knew more about the date, engravers, designers, producers, merchants and distribution of the images in question? What do the images reveal about class or gender? What can the style and rendering of an image disclose about the political ideology or psychological predisposition of the engraver, printer, or patron? How might one get at the intent of the image makers compared to the reading produced by contemporary viewers.

The Importance of Supporting Information Wayne Hanley, 6-6-03, 9:50 AM
the need for more knowledge Lynn Hunt,
6-23-03, 11:16 PM
on the need for more knowledge Barbara Day-Hickman, 7-3-03, 4:12 PM
A different perspective Warren Roberts, 7-9-03,
1:33 PM
reading the image Vivian Cameron, 7-26-03,
1:45 PM

Subject: The Importance of Supporting Information
Posted By: Wayne Hanley
Date Posted: 6-6-03, 9:50 AM

Various images were intended for various audiences/marketsoften based the cost of the engravings, medals, jetons, etc. produced. Some were intended for the mass audience (and were cheaper) and some for a more educated/wealthy audience (and were generally more expensive and of finer quality). This is certainly the case for medals, medallions, and jetons. Thus knowing the numbers of images produced, knowing how much they sold for, and knowing more about some of the creators would help to address some of these questions.

I think that understanding the intent of the creators of these images is easier to surmise (as compared to their reception), as Barbara’s essay (in particular) alludes to, but I still wonder about how much of a modern analysis is imposed by historians (again, some of the ideas discussed, not only in Barbara’s essay, but in Joan’s as well). There is also the question of was the intent of the image consciously (or even unconsciously) understood by the various audiences of the images.

In my analysis of the “Vivre Libre ou Mourir” medal, for example, I noted that specific classical symbols were included in the image, but did the audience of the jeton realize that the sixteen reeds of the fasces represented the sections of Paris? From Parker’s work on cult of antiquity and Dowd’s work on David’s designs for the various festivals we know that the Revolutionary leaders sought to educate the audience about the meanings of various images, but does the intent to educate equate with popular understanding of the imagery?

It seems to me that these types of questions, in the absence of additional evidence, can only be answered obliquely or by inference. Would the frequency of advertising for specific (or types of) images and a study of the listed prices of those images, for example, reveal more about the relative success of a given image (or genre)? Which newspapers advertised which images? Who read those newspapers? Did the advertised price of those images change over time? When did the advertisements appear (ie. what contemporary events might have added to the audience’s understanding of the image)?

In my own analysis of the early propaganda efforts of General Bonaparte, for example, it appears that continued reports of his victories led to an increased advertising for geography books that corresponded with his areas of operation and that advertisements for engravings of Bonaparte/or his victories generally ebbed and flowed with the news of his successes. Knowing these types of tangential details would greatly enhance our understanding of how the various audiences of these images received them.

Extended Discussion

Imaging the French Revolution Home