1. How did you first get interested in this image?
2. What did you first notice about this image?
3. How might someone new to analyzing images begin to understand this image?
4. What other information would help you make sense of this image?
5. What did you first notice about this portrait?
6. What else would you look at in the portrait?
7. What is the larger historical context?
8. What other questions would you ask?
9. How would you compare these two images?
Meet the Scholar
Get Flash Plugin
Grateful Acknowledgement is made to the following institutions and individuals for permission to publish material from their collections:
Museo de America, Madrid
Dana Leibsohn and Barbara Mundy, Vistas: Visual Culture in Spanish America, 1520-1820.
finding world history | unpacking evidence | analyzing documents | teaching sources | aboutA project of the Center for History and New Media, George Mason University, with support from the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Gladys Delmas Foundation © 2003-2005 center for history & new media