Questions to Ask
1. What kind of document is this?
2. Who created this document?
3. In what historical and organizational context was the document produced?
4. Who was the primary audience for the document?
5. How did the document affect the flow of events?
Sample Analysis: Nigerian Civil War
Official Documents Online
You Be the Historian!
About the Author
Grateful acknowledgement is made to the following institutions and individuals for permission to publish material from their collections:
finding world history | unpacking evidence | analyzing documents | teaching sources | aboutA project of the Center for History and New Media, George Mason University,
with support from the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation© 2003-2005 center for history & new media