Document Based Question (Suggested writing time: 40 minutes)
Directions: The following question is based on the documents included in this module. This question is designed to test your ability to work with and understand historical documents. Write an essay that:
- Has a relevant thesis and supports that thesis with evidence from the documents.
- Uses all or all but one of the documents.
- Analyzes the documents by grouping them in as many appropriate ways as possible. Does not simply summarize the documents individually.
- Takes into account both the sources of the documents and the authors' points of view.
You may refer to relevant historical information not mentioned in the documents.
Question: Drawing on specific examples from the poems studied in this module, write a well organized essay of at least five paragraphs in which you:
- Describe the spiritual yearning and passion experienced by devotees
- Explain conflicts experienced by devotees between their spiritual passion and their social obligations and responsibilities
- Evaluate the decision made by women who chose devotion over conventional responsibilities and duties
Be sure to analyze point of view in at least three documents or images.
What additional sources, types of documents, or information would you need to have a more complete view of this topic?