Grace Methodist Church

Resource Type

Built Resource: Church

Dublin Core

Title

Grace Methodist Church

Description

The south portion of the church was built in 1902. This portion is a gabled four bay structure with a bell tower that was added to the northwest corner circa 1927. A modern one story brick church structure was built to the north of the original structure in 1975. At this time the bell tower was demolished, a breezeway was built to connect the two structures, and the older building was covered in aluminum siding. The bell is now housed in a lattice cote north of the entrance to the church. Grace Methodist Church has been a focal point of the Chapel Hill community. As early as 1875 Father Jeremiah Brown operated a school near this site for African American children from the community in Piscataway. Circa 1883 a small church, which no longer stands, was built on this site to house this school as well as church meetings.

Creator

Amanda Fulcher

Source

http://www.mdihp.net/cfm/dsp_display.cfm search for site number PG:80-18

Language

eng

Geographic Coordinates

Latitude & Longitude

38.7291,-76.977226

Built Resource: Church Item Type Metadata

Files

[none]

Collection

Citation

Amanda Fulcher, "Grace Methodist Church," in Washington View Heritage Area, Item #26, https://chnm.gmu.edu/wvha/items/show/26 (accessed April 19, 2021).