Essays
Essays
Images
Images
Discussion
Discussion
About
About

2. What are the advantages/deficits of visual mediation of events and concepts in this period? Can images provide knowledge that is distinctive and different from textual sources? How do images either correspond with or differ from their textual commentary? What does this reveal about the combination of image and text? Can representations by their nature capture popular attitudes? Are inherent male/female upper class/popular class tensions either captured or effaced in these images?

question 2 Warren Roberts, 6-9-03, 9:50 AM
RE: question 2 Jack Censer, 6-10-03, 1:05 AM
RE: question 2 Warren Roberts, 7-2-03,
9:53 AM
RE: question 2 Barbara Day-Hickman, 7-1-2003, 3:17 PM
RE: question 2 Warren Roberts, 7-2-03, 12:53 PM
RE: question 2 Jack Censer, 7-26-03, 10:17 PM
question 2 Vivian Cameron, 7-6-03, 6:05 PM
Final thoughts Warren Roberts, 7-18-03, 5:38 AM

Subject: RE: question 2
Posted By: Jack Censer
Date Posted: 6-10-03, 1:05 AM

I certainly want to agree with Warren that images can tell us much that texts cannot. I also think that he has clarified his point very well here. I think my suggestion might be a need to fit in his view that Prieur’s image richly describes the crowd with the chronology of the production of images. Are such powerful images of the action of the crowd depicted in the same way over time? Specifically, does the most significant symbol of the crowd and forcethat of the lamppostebb and flow with the fortunes of the Terror?

Also, I would like Warren to be a little more precise with where Prieur is heading regarding the hanging of Foulon. In image 32 (on Foulon’s execution), how does the contemporary viewer know how to link this image to Desmoulins instead of the royalist versions of this event?

Extended Discussion

Imaging the French Revolution Home