Essays
Essays
Images
Images
Discussion
Discussion
About
About
3. Can imagery be addressed in new ways with on-line methods? Can a collective discussion of imagery produce more scholarly knowledge than just an individual analysis? Is it possible to analyze electronic images in a scholarly manner without examining the material object? texture of the paper? printing technique? style? color?

Advantage of examining the material object Jack Censer, 6-1-03, 3:33 PM
the material object Lynn Hunt, 6-23-03, 10:52 PM
RE: Advantage of examining the material object Vivian Cameron, 7-6-03, 6:28 PM
On-line Collaboration Wayne Hanley, 6-6-03,
9:53 AM
On-line Collaboration Barbara Day-Hickman, 7-1-03,
4:22 PM
RE: On-line Collaboration Joan B. Landes,
7-14-03, 3:28 PM
zooming on images Warren Roberts, 7-2-03, 2:08 PM
on-line collaboration Vivian Cameron, 7-6-03,
6:35 PM
on material objects and digital technology Joan B. Landes, 7-12-03, 5:33 PM
Final thoughts Warren Roberts, 7-19-03, 8:03 AM
on-line collaboration Barbara Day-Hickman,
7-24-03, 4:28 PM

Subject: on-line collaboration
Posted By: Vivian Cameron
Date Posted: 7-6-03, 6:35 PM

What a collective discussion can contribute is a focus on issues, details, etc. that individual scholars might not have considered. I very much liked Jack and Lynn’s construction of three axes within the corpus of images: caricature vs. “realistic”; pro-revolutionary vs. anti-revolutionary; contemporary vs. later images. Since so many of the images included on the web-site are what I would call “symbolic,” I would add another axis: symbolic (including allegorical) vs. narrative. A number of the images that Wayne Hanley analyzes would fit in here. I think that Barbara’s point about the ideological position of the artist/artisan and the ideological connection with compositional elements such as symmetry, balance, and linearity, to which I would add decorum, gestural language and emotion, is essential to our understanding of many of these works. I found Warren’s discussion of the lamppost really illuminating (sorry about the pun) and probably right on, given how artists think about how to formulate issues (politics) visually.

Extended Discussion

Imaging the French Revolution Home