Essays
Essays
Images
Images
Discussion
Discussion
About
About
3. Can imagery be addressed in new ways with on-line methods? Can a collective discussion of imagery produce more scholarly knowledge than just an individual analysis? Is it possible to analyze electronic images in a scholarly manner without examining the material object? texture of the paper? printing technique? style? color?

Advantage of examining the material object Jack Censer, 6-1-03, 3:33 PM
the material object Lynn Hunt, 6-23-03, 10:52 PM
RE: Advantage of examining the material object Vivian Cameron, 7-6-03, 6:28 PM
On-line Collaboration Wayne Hanley, 6-6-03,
9:53 AM
On-line Collaboration Barbara Day-Hickman, 7-1-03,
4:22 PM
RE: On-line Collaboration Joan B. Landes,
7-14-03, 3:28 PM
zooming on images Warren Roberts, 7-2-03, 2:08 PM
on-line collaboration Vivian Cameron, 7-6-03,
6:35 PM
on material objects and digital technology Joan B. Landes, 7-12-03, 5:33 PM
Final thoughts Warren Roberts, 7-19-03, 8:03 AM
on-line collaboration Barbara Day-Hickman,
7-24-03, 4:28 PM

Subject: Final thoughts
Posted By: Warren Roberts
Date Posted: 7-19-03, 8:03 AM

I made copies of Prieur’s images and distributed them among students in my undergraduate class on the French Revolution when I was working on my book on Prieur and David. Groups of students came to my office, at their initiative, to discuss some of the images. Going over images collectively was of great value to me and to my students. Someone would comment on something in an image and that would lead to another observation by someone else. Sometimes we had to examine details in images closely, and used a magnifying glass to do so. We all benefitted from seeing Prieur’s images collectively, reading them differently, trying to get the perspective right, seeing the images sequentially, and examining them with microscopic attention to detail. My own understanding of Prieur’s images benefitted from these exchanges, which were with undergraduate students. How much more can be gained by collective study of images by historians who bring different types of expertise and different ways of reading images is now evident to me. I should like to thank those, certainly Lynn and Jack, who put this project together, and all of the participants as well. On-line methods seem to me to have proven hugely successful for the study of images of the French Revolution.

Extended Discussion

Imaging the French Revolution Home