Essays
Essays
Images
Images
Discussion
Discussion
About
About

6. a) If we take these two prints as our point of departure, what difference does it make that we know the “author” of one print and not the other? (given that “authorship” is a somewhat vexed notion in regard to printmaking) b) Can we say that these prints represent the same ideas/ideals/notions/ presumptions about crowd violence? How would we unpack the differences in representation (the choice of perspective, for instance—the one telescoped, the other wide angle)? Are these differences the result of differences in the purpose of the prints (Prieur’s is part of a series, for instance). c) In regard to Wayne’s interests, does this kind of event ever appear on a medal or is the level of violence somehow incompatible with that kind of representation (in metal as opposed to on paper, more sculptural than pictorial, etc.) d) Is gender more of an issue when the action is viewed up close?

authorship and politics Warren Roberts, 7-3-03, 4:46 PM
knowing the author Jack Censer, 7-3-03, 8:50 PM
  RE: knowing the author Vivian Cameron, 7-6-03, 9:05 PM
RE: knowing the author Barbara Day-Hickman, 7-9-03, 4:07 PM
RE: knowing the author Jack Censer, 7-26-03, 10:03 PM
on gender, class, and violence Joan B. Landes,
7-16-03, 2:50 PM
RE: on gender, class, and violence Vivian Cameron, 7-26-03, 3:22 PM

RE: on gender, class, and violence Vivian Cameron, 7-26-03, 4:27 PM

Date? Joan B. Landes, 7-16-03, 2:53 PM

Subject: RE: on gender, class, and violence
Posted By: Vivian Cameron
Date Posted: 7-26-03, 3:22 PM

I really appreciated Joan’s analysis, particularly her comments about enthusiasm and fanaticism; female enthusiasm and violence; and the ambivalence about women involved in politics. This is a case where having both prints in front of us would help. In the Prieur, in addition to the female spectators in the mid-ground of the composition and those found in the windows above the crowd, there are a few women, distinguished by their caps, mixed into Prieur’s crowd. Although they don’t figure amongst the central participants hanging Foulon, they are, as I’ve stated in my paper, complicit members of this crowd, as indeed are the female spectators (beneath the awning on the right) who seem to be about 15 feet away from the man with rope. This print was executed in 1792, and it may well be that Prieur was trying to legitimate the people’s role in the Revolution, but I think that the people, according to Prieur, would include both women and men. (Prieur did two prints celebrating the women’s march to and from Versailles, for instance). One way in which he tried to concretize eventsthroughout the entire series of the Tableaux historiques de la Révolution françaisewas to be precise about setting, generally providing a panoramic view of parts of the city, in this case of the Place de Grève. In many cases, that distances the reader/spectator of the image from the more horrific aspects of the action.
In the anonymous print, the reader/spectator is a witness close-up to the violence performed not only by men but by a central figure of a woman, holding a paving stone, and mirroring the male figure (back to us) on the left side. But she is more prominent because she is seen head-on and she is centralized. The scene is made horrific because the corpse being stoned is a headless corpse. And it is even more horrific because one of the protagonistsa central oneis a woman. We could try to read this as equal-opportunity violence but I think Joan is right to suggest inter-connections between female enthusiasm/ fanaticism/violence.

Extended Discussion

Imaging the French Revolution Home