Essays
Essays
Images
Images
Discussion
Discussion
About
About

6. a) If we take these two prints as our point of departure, what difference does it make that we know the “author” of one print and not the other? (given that “authorship” is a somewhat vexed notion in regard to printmaking) b) Can we say that these prints represent the same ideas/ideals/notions/ presumptions about crowd violence? How would we unpack the differences in representation (the choice of perspective, for instance—the one telescoped, the other wide angle)? Are these differences the result of differences in the purpose of the prints (Prieur’s is part of a series, for instance). c) In regard to Wayne’s interests, does this kind of event ever appear on a medal or is the level of violence somehow incompatible with that kind of representation (in metal as opposed to on paper, more sculptural than pictorial, etc.) d) Is gender more of an issue when the action is viewed up close?

authorship and politics Warren Roberts, 7-3-03, 4:46 PM
knowing the author Jack Censer, 7-3-03, 8:50 PM
  RE: knowing the author Vivian Cameron, 7-6-03, 9:05 PM
RE: knowing the author Barbara Day-Hickman, 7-9-03, 4:07 PM
RE: knowing the author Jack Censer, 7-26-03, 10:03 PM
on gender, class, and violence Joan B. Landes,
7-16-03, 2:50 PM
RE: on gender, class, and violence Vivian Cameron, 7-26-03, 3:22 PM

RE: on gender, class, and violence Vivian Cameron, 7-26-03, 4:27 PM

Date? Joan B. Landes, 7-16-03, 2:53 PM

Subject: authorship and politics
Posted By: Warren Roberts
Date Posted: 7-3-03, 4:46 PM

Knowledge of Prieur certainly helps me to understand this image, “The Hanging of Foulon.” This applies to what we know about Prieur’s politics, based on his active role in the Revolution after he left the Tableaux historiques. Also, reading this imageanalyzing italong with others that Prieur did for the Tableaux historiques helps me to understand it better. What Prieur says in this image relates to what he says in other images. When we come to the second image, “Punishment of Foulon,” we have no information on the anonymous illustrator; as far I know all we have is the image. What is there is most compelling. It brings out what contemporary writers commented on, the “cruel joy” of the people, in a way that Prieur’s image doesn’t. That the aftermath of Foulon’s hanging is shown in the anonymous image is certainly noteworthy: by showing a crowd brandishing Foulon’s head on a pike and dragging his decapitated body by a rope the image is invested with a sense of violence that doesn’t come through in the Prieur image. “Punishment of Foulon” image captures a sense of crowd spontaneity that I’m sure was integral to the actual event. This is less evident to me in Prieur’s image. Moreover, the language, the style, of the anonymous image seems to me to capture and express something of a real 1789 Paris crowd in action. These people don’t move gracefully; they don’t come from elite society, from polite neighborhoods in fashionable parts of Paris. Prieur was aware of these social distinctions, of how people moved and comported themselves, and this comes through in some of his images. Those distinctions are the result of calculation; he thinks about how to depict people from different groups and classes in his images. Calculation of that type seems to me to be missing in the anonymous image, and in that sense it reads differently than Prieur’s image. We know that Prieur grew up in a comfortable social world: his father was Sculptor for the King, and while he wasn’t a member of the Academy he was well trained (perhaps under Moreau); in terms of technique he had the ability to convey the movements and gestures of civilized society. His images for the Tableaux historiques suggest hostility to a society that knew the sweetness of life under the ancien régime, but this of course is true of many of Prieur’s privileged contemporaries who sided with popular Revolution and at least initially accepted the violence. The point I am trying to make is that his images are those of an illustrator who saw the Revolution through a select social prism. Morever, his images indicate differences he consciously made when depicting Revolutionary crowds. None of this comes through in the anonymous Foulon image. And this is one of the reasons it is so compelling. Not only is it more direct and brutal, but it has what one might call a “real” sense of a crowd in action. There isn’t the artistic intervention that I find in Prieur’s image.

I do have some questions concerning the anonymous Foulon image: I should like to see some of the details in the image more closely. If we could zoom in on the image more careful analysis would be possible. A figure on the left holds something above his head. What is it? A woman located behind and to the right of the body of Foulon holds something over her head. What is it? And I would like to scan the image as closely as possible, to see whatever details might be there that are important to a careful, accurate analysis. What are the two objects that hang on a bracket above and to the right of the decapitated head of Foulon? This image cries out for careful analysis, which if it is to be effective requires microscopic attention to detail.

Let me make one final observation: adding another image to this set of two, or perhaps several others, could be both illuminating and instructive. A set of images depicting events that took place in the Place de Grève on July 14 and July 2 is what I have in mind. This is so because of what I feel is the significance of these events, but also of what different images can tell us. We have different images of these events, many of them offering different perspectives and rendered in different styles, some by artists on whom we have have information, some by anonymous illustrators; and then we have one quite remarkable image, A.L. Girodet’s “Decapitated Heads of Marquis de Launay, de Flesselles, Foulon, and Bertier de Sauvigny.” In this image an artist of impeccable technique, a student of David, shows four heads on pikes and an internal organ stuck on a pike. Hay is stuffed in one mouth, that of Foulon, and most of one head has been torn away, that of Bertier de Sauvigny, just as it was described by Restif, who both witnessed the event and described it. Girodet has brought all four heads together in one image; the disjunction between the impeccable technique and horrific subject of the image is most striking.

Extended Discussion

Imaging the French Revolution Home