The Development of the Modern Newspaper
How do Historians Use Newspapers?
Questions to Ask
1. Who published this newspaper and why?
2. Who read this newspaper and why?
3. What is the competitive environment?
4. How does the particular story compare and relate to others in the same newspaper?
5. What was left out of the story? How can I find out more?
Sample Analysis: El Universal in Mexico City
You Be the Historian!
About the Author
Grateful acknowledgement is made to the following institutions
and individuals for permission to publish material from their collections:
National Technical Museum, Prague, Czech Republic
finding world history | unpacking evidence | analyzing documents | teaching sources | aboutA project of the Center for History and New Media, George Mason University,
with support from the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation© 2003-2005 center for history & new media